As more people are spending their summers at home, creating that perfect outdoor space has never been more important. With the nice weather, why not spend some time outside (maybe with the kids) doing a few DIY patio decor projects? These projects are the perfect way to get out of the house while making a few items that will complement your patio furniture. Save money and use your creativity with some of our favorite DIY patio decor projects.
Light Up Your Patio Table With Mason Jars
When that sun goes down, keep your patio bright with beautiful lighted mason jars. These mason jars will add that decorative accent lighting every patio could use. Whether you place these on your patio table to keep the conversations going all night long or by the firepit for extra lighting, they’re the perfect DIY decor project.
Supplies needed: mason jars, battery-operated lights, AA batteries
- Open up your mason jar and place the battery-operated lights inside. Make sure the battery pack is hanging outside of the mason jar.
- Place your AA batteries in the battery pack and turn on your lights
- Repeat for any other mason jars you have
Hanging Wine Bottle Decor Piece Won’t Disappoint
If you’re a wine enthusiast, odds are, you have a few empty (or close to empty) wine bottles in your home. Before you recycle them, what about using them to create a beautiful patio decor piece? This hanging decor piece will definitely get the attention of your guests and will be the perfect way to show a little personality.
Supplies needed: four wine bottles, aluminum wire, battery-operated lights and AA batteries (optional)
- Gather your wine bottles and stand them up on a flat surface.
- Wrap aluminum wire around the wine bottles.
- If you’re looking for that extra decorative touch, you can add battery-operated lights in a few wine bottles. Make sure the battery packs are hanging outside of the wine bottles.
- Hang the newly made decor piece from your overhang or tree and watch your guests be impressed.
Illuminate Your Backyard With Outdoor Lights
One of the most popular ways to enhance the look of a backyard during the summer is by adding a few strands of patio lights. The way they illuminate any yard creates that perfect outdoor space. With a variety of different patio lights, you can create different designs to suit the look of your space.
- Globe lights: The majority of outdoor globe lights are clear and give off that beautiful white glow. We think that the best option for these is to hang them around your overhang or between trees. With the amount of light they give off, using them this way allows you to maximize their light throughout your backyard. So, spend some time hanging them above your patio.
- Mini lights: Adding mini lights around your patio is the perfect way to illuminate your outdoor space while adding a decorative touch. We found that wrapping mini lights around trees or bushes creates that accent lighting everyone can’t get enough of. Their subtle light will complement the rest of your outdoor lighting perfectly.
- Novelty Lights: Vibrantly colored novelty patio lights are a great way to add some personality to any backyard. The best way to showcase these lights is to string them in between trees or on your fence. Let these lights bring those summer vibes to your backyard.
Showcase Your Succulents With A Wall Planter
Do you enjoy planting flowers throughout the summer? We have the perfect way to showcase those succulent plants and smaller flowers. A wall planter that is leaned up against your fence or wall on your patio provides that lovely summer look every backyard could use.
Supplies needed: natural wooden handrail, wood stain, succulent plants, power drill, screw-in hooks
- Follow the instructions of your wood stain and stain your handrail completely.
- Once it’s dry, move it to its desired location.
- Using your drill, make small holes in both the planters and the handrail for the screw-in hooks.
- Hang the succulents from the hooks.
- Repeat for the number of plants you have.
Bring Charm & Light To Your Patio With A Ladder Frame
Are you trying to figure out how to add a little more charm to your patio? Nothing will beat this ladder frame DIY project. If you have an old ladder frame or can get your hands on one, you won’t be disappointed with the final outcome of this decor piece. A little personality and light will complete the look of your patio and capture the attention of your guests.
Supplies needed: 1 ladder frame, wood stain, 6 stainless steel eye hooks, stud finder, power drill, 3/16” or larger chain
- Follow the instructions on your wood stain to fully stain your ladder frame and let it dry.
- Using your drill, drill two holes in your ceiling using a stud finder for the eye hooks. To keep the hooks level, make sure to use a level or tape measure.
- Drill holes on the four corners of the ladder frame for the eye hooks.
- Attach the eye hooks from the ladder frame to the ceiling with the 3/16” chains.
- Once hung and secured, add decorative lanterns of your choice for that personal touch.
Your backyard has never been more important than now. So spend a weekend or two and create a few decor items that will add that decorative and personal touch to your space. If you still need some inspiration, check out how to decorate that smaller patio here.